2016-2017 Catalog

Academic Requirements for Graduate Students

Degree Requirements

Total Units and Grade Point Average

The candidate for the Master’s degree must complete a minimum of 30 semester hours beyond the Bachelor’s degree with a 3.0 cumulative and term grade point average. All classes must be passed with grades of B- or better. Only graduate and upper-division courses approved in advance by the Program Director may be included in the degree program. The candidate for the graduate Certificate must complete the units required by the program with a 3.0 cumulative and term grade point average. All classes must be passed with grades of B- or better.

Time Limit

All courses and the comprehensive examination, thesis, project, practicum, or recital for the Master’s Degree must be completed within seven calendar years. An extension of time will be granted only in exceptional cases and on the basis of a written petition submitted by the student, with the approval of the Graduate Curriculum and Standards Committee, to the Vice President for Academic Affairs.

Language Requirement

All candidates for the Master’s degree are expected to demonstrate correct and effective use of English, both written and oral.

Human Subjects Protocol and Institutional Review Board

Any student doing human subjects research must submit a proposal and protocol to the HNU Institutional Review Board (IRB). Students should consult with their Graduate Program Director for further information.

Thesis or Project

Where required, the completed thesis or project must be approved by the readers by the date set in the academic calendar. Two copies of the thesis should be prepared; one of these bound copies must be submitted to the University Library and one must be filed in the Division/Department office. For additional thesis or project requirements, see specific program regulations.

Effective Fall 2015, all graduate students completing a thesis or culminating project will be required to complete and submit the “Culminating Project Completion Certification” form to the Registrar’s Office before their degrees will be awarded. Students are responsible for obtaining all required signatures on the form before submitting it. Please see your program director for specific details.

Course Information

Identification of Courses

Holy Names classes are always identified by four elements: the sponsoring discipline, a special number, a title, and a unit value for the course, e.g., History 17A United States History (3). In this example, the “A” indicates that the course is the first half of a two semester course. The (3) indicates that the class is worth three units and meets for approximately 3 hours per week.

In this Catalog, a brief description of the content of the course follows the basic identification.

Credit Hours

A credit hour (unit) is an amount of work represented in intended learning outcomes and verified by evidence of student achievement that is an institutionally established equivalency that reasonably approximates not less than:

  1. One hour of classroom or direct faculty instruction and a minimum of two hours of out of class student work each week for approximately fifteen weeks for one semester, or the equivalent amount of work over a different amount of time; or
  2. At least an equivalent amount of work as required in paragraph (1) of this definition for other academic activities as established by the institution including laboratory work, internships, practica, studio work, and other academic work leading to the award of credit hours.


Courses numbered 1–99 are ranked as lower-division courses (freshman/sophomore level). Courses carrying numbers 100–199 are upper-division level. In courses that are listed as both lower and upper-division (English ENGL 20/ ENGL 120), significantly more sophisticated work is expected of those receiving upper-division credit. Some upper-division level courses (100–199) may be used in Master’s as well as in Bachelor’s degree programs. Faculty expect more of graduate students enrolled in upper-division classes. Courses scheduled as 10/110 or as 110/210 have syllabi and class assignments commensurate with levels of students enrolled. Graduate-level courses and post-baccalaureate certificate courses are numbered 200–299 and professional education courses are numbered 300–399.

Courses with an additional “A” in the course ID (e.g. RLSTA 175) are designed for adult learners. Some programs have other letters to indicate that they are intended for a specific program (e.g. "F", NURSF 211 is intended as part of the MSN FNP program).

Special Study

This is a regularly offered course required for graduation that is not being offered again before the student’s expected date of graduation. The special study may be taught as a tutorial or to an individual student. Special studies are open to seniors, graduate students, and others under extenuating circumstances. These courses are identified with the numbers 94/194/294/394. The form may be obtained from and filed in the Student Resource Center.


Student work in internships, practica or field work is designated 96/196/296/396, with identifying subtitles. These courses have a special syllabus and set of requirements and are not listed in the Catalog.

Special Topics Classes

Courses identified with the numbers 97/197/297/397 carry identifying subtitles and may be repeated for credit under different subtitles. These courses are not listed in the present Catalog, as the topics and content will vary.


198 is the course number used for undergraduate research, and 298 for graduate thesis or directed Master’s project. The undergraduate form may be obtained from and filed in the Student Resource Center.

Independent Study

This is individual study not provided in regular courses, arranged by a student with a faculty member, and approved by the Division/Department Chairperson and the Registrar. It may involve 1-3 units, and is listed on the transcript with the number 199/299/399 and with a descriptive title. Independent study is not available to freshmen or audit students.

Even though students may apply up to six units of credit toward a Bachelor’s degree in each individualized course, most students earn 1-3 units per course. The form may be obtained from and filed in the Student Resource Center.

Cycling of Classes

Many courses are offered only once in each academic year, and a few are scheduled every third or fourth term. Students can find out from Division/Department Chairpersons when particular classes will be offered. The list of courses to be offered each term is found in Hawk’s Edge online system and published in the online Schedule of Classes.

Cancellation of Courses

A course may be cancelled if enrollment is low or if other circumstances necessitate a cancellation.