2018-2019 Catalog

Course Information

Identification of Courses

Holy Names classes are always identified by four elements: the sponsoring discipline, a special number, a title, and a unit value for the course, e.g., History 17A United States History (3). In this example, the “A” indicates that the course is the first half of a two semester course. The (3) indicates that the class is worth three units and meets for approximately 3 hours per week. Weekend and accelerated classes meet in a different time frame (see the Adult Baccalaureate Degree Program section of this Catalog).

In this Catalog, a brief description of the content of the course follows the basic identification.

Credit Hours

A credit hour (unit) is an amount of work represented in intended learning outcomes and verified by evidence of student achievement that is an institutionally established equivalency that reasonably approximates not less than:

  1. One hour of classroom or direct faculty instruction and a minimum of two hours of out of class student work each week for approximately fifteen weeks for one semester, or the equivalent amount of work over a different amount of time; or
  2. At least an equivalent amount of work as required in paragraph (1) of this definition for other academic activities as established by the institution including laboratory work, internships, practica, studio work, and other academic work leading to the award of credit hours.


Courses numbered 1–99 are ranked as lower-division courses (freshman/sophomore level). Courses carrying numbers 100–199 are upper-division level. In courses that are listed as both lower and upper-division (English ENGL 20/ ENGL 120), significantly more sophisticated work is expected of those receiving upper-division credit. Some upper-division level courses (100–199) may be used in Master’s as well as in Bachelor’s degree programs. Faculty expect more of graduate students enrolled in upper-division classes. Courses scheduled as 10/110 or as 110/210 have syllabi and class assignments commensurate with levels of students enrolled. Graduate-level courses and post-baccalaureate certificate courses are numbered 200–299 and professional education courses are numbered 300–399.

Courses with an additional “A” in the course ID (e.g. RLSTA 175) are designed for adult learners.  Some programs have other letters to indicate that they are intended for a specific program (e.g. "F", NURSF 211 is intended as part of the MSN FNP program).

Service/Community Based Learning Courses

Community Based Learning (CBL) courses include a service component that provides students with the opportunity to apply what they learn in the classroom to a need within a community organization. Students in CBL courses typically complete 15 hours of work in service, reflection, and integration of academic activities related to their work experience for their assigned community organization.

Special Study

This is a regularly offered course required for graduation that is not being offered again before the student’s expected date of graduation. The special study may be taught as a tutorial or to an individual student. Special studies are open to seniors, graduate students, and others under extenuating circumstances.  The form may be obtained from and filed in the Student Resource Center.

Senior Seminar

Programs requiring a concluding undergraduate seminar designate this course as 195.


Student work in internships, practica or field work is designated 96/196/296/396, with identifying subtitles. These courses have a special syllabus and set of requirements and are not listed in the Catalog. There is a limit of six units of internship that may be applied to the Bachelor’s degree.

Special Topics Classes

Courses identified with the numbers 97/197/297/397 carry identifying subtitles and may be repeated for credit under different subtitles. These courses are not listed in the present Catalog, as the topics and content will vary.


198 is the course number used for undergraduate research, and 298 for graduate thesis or directed Master’s project. The undergraduate form may be obtained from and filed in the Student Resource Center.

Independent Study

This is individual study not provided in regular courses, arranged by a student with a faculty member, and approved by the Chairperson and the Registrar. It may involve 1-3 units, and is listed on the transcript with the number 199/299/399 and with a descriptive title. Independent study is not available to freshmen or audit students.

Even though students may apply up to six units of credit toward a Bachelor’s degree in each individualized course, most students earn 1-3 units per course. The form may be obtained from and filed in the Student Resource Center.

Cycling of Classes

Many courses are offered only once in each academic year, and a few are scheduled every third or fourth term. Students can find out from Chairpersons when particular classes will be offered. The list of courses to be offered each term is found in Hawk’s Edge online system and published in the online Schedule of Classes.

Cancellation of Courses

A course may be cancelled if enrollment is low or if other circumstances necessitate a cancellation.